new member

From: David Anders (david_anders@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Jun 24 2000 - 20:48:50 PDT

Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 20:48:50 PDT
From: "David Anders" <david_anders@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: new member

Hi, I just got a Venus Flytrap and after reading the Savage Garden Ive
become interested in carniverous plants. I was surfing for info on
carniverous plants and came across this list from www.sarracenia.com. I'd
like to ask the groups suggestions on the following:

1) Venus Fly Trap - Red Dragon - It looks very nice in the book. Any
reason not to get it? I have a couple of southward facing windows (Im
in New Jersey) and it should get several hours of direct sun.

2) Sundew - Drosera Capensis - Red Narrow Leaf - I undersatnd that the
flowers are nice, and the plant is supposed to be attractive. Any reasons
not to get it, or any other nice Drosera? It seems well suited for a
windowsill.

3) Pitcher plants. I was thinking of the S. Purpurea becaus its not too
large, about a foot high correct? The Leucophylia is supposed to be
attractive, but its 3 feet high. What American Pitcher plants would you
suggest? Many look very nice, esp. the hybrids, I'd prefer a plant thats 1
or at most 2 feet tall.

Lastly, may I ask your advice on my ailing Venus Fly Trap. It recently has
developed some tiny brown patches that seem thin and devoid of green. Is
this black spot? It doesnt look like the black spot on my Roses outdoors?
Could it be a sign that the plant was exposed to too high heat (scorching?).
  I had it near the window and the soil may have been a tad on the dry side,
still damp, but not as moist as when I got it. I assume I can spray it with
the fungicide I use for my Roses (its not a soap based fungicide).

What types of insects does the Venus Fly trap prefer?