Re: Inorganic Nepethes medium

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Jun 29 2000 - 04:14:28 PDT

Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 12:14:28 +0100
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Inorganic Nepethes medium

Joe,

> There was a really interesting article in CPN about using a completely
>inorganic medium for growing Nepenthes. It consisted of Lectacon(expanded
>clar perls for hydroponics), lava gravel, and Seramis clay perls. A little
>fertilizing with something similar to Osmocote was necessary with this
>mixture.
> I think I saw the equivalent to the Lectacon on a hydroponics website, but
>has anyone in the US tried anything similar and where do you get something
>like the Seramis(I assume that's the brand name) clay perls around here?
> Anyone care to share experiences like the above or likewise unique?

I've already checked the company that makes Seramis here in the UK and
they do not have a distributor in the US. Some Bonsai tree growers use a
baked natural clay which might be a suitable alternative. I've got some
but haven't got around to testing it yet.

Regards,
Phil Wilson
Email: cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk