Soil mix + night time temperature + over feeding a VFT

From: David Anders (david_anders@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jun 29 2000 - 05:28:17 PDT

Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 05:28:17 PDT
From: "David Anders" <david_anders@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Soil mix  +  night time temperature + over feeding a VFT

1) I've read several different soil mix recommendations for Venus
Flytraps, form 50% Peat Moss - 50% sand to 2/3 Peat Moss - 1/3 sand.

Is the mix by weight or volume? Since Peat Moss is lighter than sand, maybe
thats where the difference in mixtures arises.

Should the Peat be wetted and squeezed before mixing to force out air
pcokets? Or does one just mix the sand+peat together, and plant the VFT and
water it, while gently pressing the soil down?

2) During summer growth my sun room stays fairly warm at night, say 75
degrees. During the day it might get up to 90, even with the AC (in another
room). Will this night time temperature damage the plant?

(for winter I keep them in a different cooler, darker area)

3) someone posted on rec.gardens that VFTs shouldnt be over fed (all
traps simultaneously closed on insects) because they dont need the extra
nutrients. Is this true? (I doubt it)