Re:Sarracenia questions

From: Susan Farrington (sfarrington@ridgway.mobot.org)
Date: Thu Jun 29 2000 - 06:46:35 PDT

Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 08:46:35 -0500
From: "Susan Farrington" <sfarrington@ridgway.mobot.org>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:Sarracenia questions

Kit,
You didn't give us enough info to help you more... where have you
grown these Sarracenia? Where are they now, and where did they
spend their winter? How do you water them? Do you use pure water?

It's not unusual for S. leucophylla to be very slow to make nice
pitchers: they always make their best ones in late summer/fall.
However, they will usually produce SOME spring pitchers... the kep
to this seems to be TONS of sunshine early in the season. If it was
too dark back in March, that will delay it substantially.

As to the S. flava problems... again, tell us where you have it. Is it
getting a good consistent water supply? While a tray or saucer can
dry out, the soil in the pot should NEVER dry out, especially in spring
and summer. So if it went too dry even once, that could explain things.
There are other possibilities as well... give us more details!
Susan

> Is it normal for S. leucophylla to still have phyllodia, but no
> pitchers at this time of year? (I'm in Brooklyn, New York, USDA Zone
> 7. We had an unusually cool Spring here, but Summer's getting into
> full swing, finally.)
>
> What would be a likely cause for S. flava pitchers to come up
> malformed and/or never fully develop? One of the pitchers has some
> fuzzy stuff at the top, but I don't see any mealybugs on it. I've got
> apicture up at <http://www.kithalsted.com/~kit/cp/MedFlava.jpg>. This
> pitcher stopped growing at this stage & has been like this for over a
> month. There are 2 more pitchers coming up, but 1 seems to have
> stopped growing at an earlier stage of development & the other is
> malformed.
>
> Thanks,
> -Kit

Susan Farrington