Re: Centepede & Millepdes + VFT = ???

From: Chris Teichreb (cteichreb@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jun 30 2000 - 09:18:12 PDT

Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 09:18:12 PDT
From: "Chris Teichreb" <cteichreb@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Centepede & Millepdes + VFT = ???

Hi Michael,

>about 7 hrs of sunlight ATM. I also occasionly feed them any insects I
>find, spiders, flies, slaters, roaches. And the latest victoms, a few
>centepedes or millepedes, dunno which it is.

   Millipedes have two legs per body segment, centipedes only one.
Centipedes are usually flatter and millipedes more round. When
disturbed, millipedes curl up into a ball, while centipedes will
dive into the soil. Millipedes good, centipedes bad!

>They are about 1" long, and
>very thin. Anyway, they managed to mimic houdini and so I have 4 of
>these critters wandering around in the pot somewhere. I tried but
>couldn't find them. I read somewhere that these things eat plant roots,
>and dead organic matter to obtain nutrience. The question I have is will
>these things kill my VFTs.

   Yes! Run for your life and the insecticide, you don't have
much time. By the time you read this, it may be too late...!

   Ok, enough of that silliness, sorry! If there's only a few
in the pots, they probably won't do much damage, but it's best
to try and get them out. A simple way may be to flood the plants
up to the soil level and leave them that way for a couple of
days in hopes of drowning them or forcing them to find somewhere
else to live. It won't hurt the plants (the flooding).

>If so is there a insecticide that will knock
>them off but not the plants.

   Some of the common insecticides will probably work (Malathion,
Orthene), but they may have to be applied in higher doses, due to the larger
size of centipedes, which may have ill effects on the plant.
Best to try non-"death bomb for insects" methods first.

>I intend to keep these plants for years.

   Don't we all? Be careful, after growing them for long enough,
the plants start to own you, running your life, deciding when
you can go on vacation, demanding you visit their wild brethren
while away, making you spend your money on cheese and macaroni
just so you can provide _them_ with a new companion. It's a downward
spiral ;-)!

>Thanks..
>
>--Michael

Happy growing,