Aldrovanda branching

From: Barry Meyers-Rice (bamrice@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 07 2000 - 11:19:27 PDT

Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 11:19:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: Barry Meyers-Rice <bamrice@ucdavis.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Aldrovanda branching

>> I wonder....is it a coincidence my plants have stopped multiplying
>>right when they've filled their available growth area, or is Aldrovanda
>>> self-limiting with respect to its population density?

>Dear Barry,

> Have any of your other clones branched like this one? Or are their
>(the other clones) conditions too different to make a comparison?

>Dave Evans

Hey Dave,

I've got three other clones. Two are too new to my cultivation to make a
good comparison. The other clone (Japan) is not quite as happy with my
cultivation method and I only have about 12 apices of this plant compared
to about 30-40 of the Australian type. So I am cautious about making a
comparison. That Japanese clone is still branching (perhaps) although
slowly.

Also, photos I've seen comparing different clones have suggested that
plants from different areas have different branching habits, at least in
vitro.

P.S. I got these plants in trade from Doug Darnowski. Interested growers
should contact him.

Barry

Dr. Barry A. Meyers-Rice
Carnivorous Plant Newsletter