Re: dying VFT, ...

From: Dave Evans (dpevans@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 07 2000 - 23:30:10 PDT

Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2000 02:30:10 -0400
From: "Dave Evans" <dpevans@rci.rutgers.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: dying VFT, ...

Dear Daniel,

> I repottet the VFT two days ago, so I can tell you, that the rhizome
> is not rotten, it is just white. Is it possible that the plant will grow
> new leaves some day?

    Perhaps. Can you tell us how long you have had this plant and when did
it start to loose it's leaves? Is it outside, inside, did you water with
tap water? If the bulb is still white then the plant has a chance, but I
can't tell why it has lost it leaves. Generally VFT does not loose all it's
leave at once when dormancy comes, but slowly and even then it will often
not loose all it's leaves before dormancy ends.

> The other question concerns my Sarracenia. Most pitchers got
> brown. What is the problem here? Does the dry air cause this, or
> do I make other things wrong?

    I'm not sure. Did you just move the plant from high humidity to low
humidity? Did you move the plant from the shade to full sun? If you
explain what care you have given these plants we will be able to help you
better.
If you can, check out this web site: http://www.sarracenia.com/faq.html
This is the CP faqs page. It has a lot of good information on the culture
of CP's.

Dave Evans