Nepenthes problem

From: William M. Gorum, Jr. (wgorum@bellsouth.net)
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 20:25:03 PDT

Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 22:25:03 -0500
From: "William M. Gorum, Jr." <wgorum@bellsouth.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes problem

Hey Listmembers,

I'm having a problem with some of my Nepethes, and I can't quite figure
out what is going on. The plants in question are one of my N.
ventricosa, my N. fusca, and both of my "Little Pot of Horrors"
Nepenthes. I've been growing the N. ventricosa and the N. fusca for
over a year, and the "Little Pot of Horrors" Neps for nearly two
years. Here's the problem: all of the plants' leaves have turned a
bronze color, and as they produce new growth, each leaf that opens is
progressively smaller than the first. I've changed nothing as far as my
cultivation techniques go, and my other Neps (another ventricosa,
khasiana, alata, bicalcarata, ampullaria, albomarginata, wrigleyana,
etc.) have shown no signs of this malady. I do need to change the bulbs
in my lighting fixtures, they're about a year old. I know the spectrum
in bulbs tends to shift as they age, but would this spectrum change have
a negative effect on my plants? Temp. runs about 70 at night to 80
during the day, and humidity is approximately 85-90%. As always, any
info will be appreciated!

Thanks,
Will
wgorum@bellsouth.net