Re: mainstream media = cp misinformation?

From: Tassara (strega@split.it)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2000 - 03:29:03 PDT

Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 12:29:03 +0200
From: strega@split.it (Tassara)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: mainstream media = cp misinformation?

Hi Chris,

>Just saw a very strange story on a bay-area (US) news
>broadcast (channel 11). They did a short report on
>the carnivorous plant that is so rare that in Italy "they"
>are trying to feed it chicken. The plant was N. Bicalcarata...
>though they never identified it as such. Also, they didn't
>explain why the plant being rare necessitated changing it's diet.
>They did report that "the plant is so rare that one specimen can
>cost up to 200 dollars". I didn't pay that much for mine. :-) And
>there certainly is no shortage of food for mine. I wonder if ants
>taste like chicken?...

There was in fact a debate here wether feeding Nepenthes is useful or not,
and about the kind of food they prefer. Somebody proposed crickets, somebody
ants; someone else meat, but deprived of its fat; chicken has been told to
be better because it's lean.
So it isn't impossible that somebody among "us" is feeding his bicalcarata
with chicken.

I'd have never guessed our rather confidential discussions would reach
Channel 11 of Bay Area! Any US spy infiltrated in our CP society?? :-)

About saving rare plants with chicken, probably I'll try also this if we'll
succeed in finding our wild, maybe-I-hope-not extinct, Aldrovanda!

Filippo Tassara
Genoa, Italy

P.S.: not so expensive N. bicalcarata's here in Italy!