mealybugs in cephalotus

From: William Tsun-Yuk Hsu (hsu@tlaloc.sfsu.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 19 2000 - 11:13:03 PDT

Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 11:13:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: William Tsun-Yuk Hsu <hsu@tlaloc.sfsu.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: mealybugs in cephalotus

Just found mealybugs in my cephalotus. It's a 3" diameter
plant which has developed into a pretty dense clump.

I started swabbing the bugs with alcohol, but a lot
of the bugs are in the dense middle part and hard to
eliminate. In the past, for sarracenia and darlingtonia,
I've removed the plant from the medium and washed it
out and soaked it in water. This treatment has worked
well, but is it a good idea for cephalotus, since the
roots are not supposed to be immersed in water?

Or should I just blast the plant with orthene? (I generally
try less extreme methods first...)

Thanks,
Bill