U. subulata slime

From: Barry Meyers-Rice (bamrice@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 10:48:13 PDT

Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 10:48:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: Barry Meyers-Rice <bamrice@ucdavis.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: U. subulata slime

>Wondering if anyone growing Utricularia has notice that U. subulata
>can produce a sticky mucilage at each bract on the inflorescence.
>These blobs may be a protective mechanism from crawling
>critters? These plants never cease to amaze. Anyone notice it?

Hey Rich,

This was actually first mentioned, if I recall correctly, by our own Peter
D'Amato in an issue of CPN several years back. I wonder if it is used to
attract pollinators who might be interested in the shiney droplets?

Barry

Dr. Barry A. Meyers-Rice
Carnivorous Plant Newsletter
Conservation Coeditor