U.reniformis

From: loyd.wix@talk21.com
Date: Tue Jul 25 2000 - 14:52:10 PDT

Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 22:52:10 BST
From: loyd.wix@talk21.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: U.reniformis

Dear Chris,

My U.reniformis is now a regular flowerer though I initially had to wait
3 or 4 years before I first saw flowers. My plant is in a circa 30cm
square water lily basket and the Utric is able to grow through the slots
in the side and colonise the water tray. Although I keep this species
at about a winter minimum of 10deg C, the plant loses all of its leaves
with the first spring growth consisting of the flower spikes. I suspect
that Phil is right and the plant needs a reasonable sized container to
inhabit, My plant has been left undisturbed for several years now and I
suspect that excessive disturbance and division of the plant is not
condusive to flowering. Unlike Phil, I have the smaller clone of this
species to be!
 less reliable though did have the opportunity to cross the two forms
 this year and now have a tray full of resultant seedlings.

Regarding the other large flowered Utrics, I have found many of these to
be reliable flowerers once established with U.humboldtii, alpina and
longifolia (the \221forgetiana' clone) flowering for me every year.
However U.nelubifolia seems to be the easiest of all to flower with
several of my plants currently putting out spikes. The large form of
U.reniformis has thrown out another spike quite late on in the year
(perhaps due to the poor summer we are having in the UK) which may offer
the opportunity to generate P.reniformis X nelumbifolia hybrids.

Cheers

Loyd

-------------------- talk21 your FREE portable and private address on
the net at http://www.talk21.com