Re: Trying to identify a Sarracenia...

From: Chris Teichreb (cteichreb@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jul 28 2000 - 08:51:56 PDT

Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 08:51:56 PDT
From: "Chris Teichreb" <cteichreb@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Trying to identify a Sarracenia...

Hi Prem,

>it looks like it could be either S. alata or S. rubra. The pitchers
>are about 13" tall, green to a copper color, with red veins along the
>inside of the pitcher. I saw one with a fresh flower that was pure
>yellow. Most of the flowers were already spent and had sepals that
>shaded from deep red along the edges in various striations to yellowish-
>green middles.
>
>Anyone care to proffer an id for me?
>

>--> Prem

   Unless it's one of the rarer S.rubra lacking anthocyanin, it's
definitely S.alata. S.rubra produces dark red flowers (hence the
name), while S.alata always produces light, cream coloured flowers.

   Other features include S.alata having a much more flexed hood
than S.rubra (bends over the mouth of the pitcher more), and
generally the base of the hood in S.alata is wider than S.rubra.

Chris

--
Chris Teichreb

http://www.geocities.com/cteichreb ("Coastal Carnivores", my homepage)