Carnivorous Plant Pest on VFT

From: MCliff428@aol.com
Date: Fri Jul 28 2000 - 09:39:47 PDT

Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 12:39:47 EDT
From: MCliff428@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Carnivorous Plant Pest on VFT

Hello,
    I am a beginner at this so any help is appreciated. I am fifteen and
have always been interested in horticulture. I have been doing bonsai for a
few years and have recently acquired a few plants from a nursery call
Botanique. I ordered, over the Internet, Dionaea muscipula, Dionaea
muscipula 'Akai Ryu", Sarracenia purpurea, & Drosera intermedia. I put all
my plants in a plastic pot with a mixture of half sand, which is actually
play sand that I first rinsed in a bowl, and milled sphagnum moss. I have
them resting in deep trays and watering them by putting water in the tray. I
went away for one month and when I cam back. The leaves on my VFT's were
very long and narrow. My red type had many leaves but they were short and
some without traps. Some of the VFT leaves were deformed and had tiny bumps
on the leaf. The Pitchers on Sarracenia were long, narrow and floppy. This
morning I found a few aphids on my VFT. Should I treat the plant with
alcohol? What am I doing wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.