Re: Dormancy

From: Philip Semanchuk (mrbones@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun Jul 30 2000 - 16:26:54 PDT

Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 19:26:54 -0400
From: "Philip Semanchuk" <mrbones@mindspring.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Dormancy

>I live in New Jersey where the winters are chilly and sometimes reach
>temperatures just above 0 degrees. I have a pitcher plant, VFT's, and a
few
>Sundews. How should I keep them dormant? I don't think that I have that
>much room in the refrigerator?

Hey,
I believe there are growers in NJ on this list but just in case they're too
busy listening to the Phillies game on the radio to answer, I'll throw in my
two cents.

Your VFTs will be fine outdoors where you live, and probably your Sarracenia
and Drosera too although we'd need to know what species to be sure. There
are Sarracenia and Drosera that are native to much colder regions than NJ. I
like to remind people that even here in North Carolina where VFTs (and many
Sarracenia and Drosera) are native, it has certainly gotten below zero on
occasion in the last several thousands of years that these plants have been
around, and it didn't wipe them out.

No sense pushing your plants too hard though, so what I do in winter is pack
wood chips and leaf mulch around my pots to give them some biomass to
moderate temperature swings and ignore them for the winter. Whatever water
they get falls as rain or snow. I have not lost any plants, even at temps
below 15F.

Hope this helps,
Philip
URL du jour: http://www.adbusters.org/