Little flying bugs

From: Paul McCullough (paulmcc@home.com)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 21:41:01 PDT

Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 00:41:01 -0400
From: Paul McCullough <paulmcc@home.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Little flying bugs

I've noticed tons of little flying bugs - smaller then gnats, I think-
flying around inside the terrarium and crawling on the dirt between my
plants. They're real small- probably a sixteenth of an inch if that.
The Sundews and pitcher plants are making huge meals of them- they're
too small for the VFTs.

There's no sign of damage to the plants- they're all thriving- but I'm
wondering if in some earlier stage in these insect's life (as their
entire life cycle must be lived out in the terrarium) if they could be
detrimental to my CP? For instance, in some larval stage are they
eating roots? Again, there's no sign of the plants dying off, but I
just want to be sure.

If someone thinks I should eradicate these little "gnats" - how should I
go about it? What's safe to use in a terrarium?

Cheers,
Paul

--

My New Webpage URLs: -------------------- 3D Animation World: http://members.home.net/paulmcc Carnivorous Plant Page: http://members.home.net/paulmcc/carniv.htm Movie Reviews: http://members.home.net/paulmcc/movies.htm