Re: Pest ID

From: tierney.wayne@seeds.Novartis.com
Date: Tue Aug 01 2000 - 14:50:28 PDT

Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 14:50:28 -0700
From: tierney.wayne@seeds.Novartis.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Pest ID

Thanks to everyone- Phil, Susan, Ivan, who responded and
 confirmed my suspicions about the fungus gnats... my next question is
 regarding the use of
sundews or pings to control these guys... I think I remember reading
somewhere that they are paedomorphic (sp?) ie: the maggots can reproduce
without an adult stage. This would explain why my pings and sundews
next to the germination trays are covered with gnats, yet the gnats
persist. Any entomologists care to comment? Regardless, I'm covering
my germination trays from now on like I should have already been doing!
Thanks again and hope to see y'all again soon, Tierney SAn Jose Ca

I find a couple of large sundews will effectively eliminate the fungus
gnat problem within a few weeks. Of course they do not deal with the
larvae but quickly wipe out the adults when they emerge, breaking the
life cycle.

Regards,
Phil Wilson
Email: cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk