TO MCliff428@aol.com

From: michael pagoulatos (michaelpagoulatos@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Aug 02 2000 - 07:24:38 PDT

Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 07:24:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: michael pagoulatos <michaelpagoulatos@yahoo.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: TO MCliff428@aol.com

You write "... I was wondering if now is an OK time of
year to plant rhizomes of Sarracenia... ".

> You can transplant Sarracenias any time of the year.
If you get them bare-rooted though, you have a high
propability of them going into shock, i.e. the
pitchers will die and the plant will appear dead.
With proper care, it may take a few weeks to recover
and produce new pitchers, it may not recover until
next Spring, or it may die.

The best time to transplant Sarracenias is during
their dormancy (before end of February or
thereabouts).

You write " Should they be planted in long-fibered
sphagnum with no sand? ".

> There are various mixtures which Sarracenias like,
including long-fiber sphagnum, sphagnum peat moss, and
mixtures of the above with sand or perlite. I plant
mine in a 50/50 mixture (by volume) of sphagnum peat
moss and Silica sand because it more closely resembles
their natural habitat.

You write "... I have play sand ...I had a hard time
finding silica sand. I have...sharp sand...I could
use it as a substitute for silica sand. Is this OK
for use with all plants?".

> Test the sand by adding pure water to some, letting
it sit for a while, then use a PH test kit. It must
test acidic (definately less than 7, preferably around
6). If not, I would not use it.

Silica sand is slightly acidic and it retains water.
In lieu of Silica sand you may use Perlite, although
it washes to the surface of pots kept outside, after a
rain, or just pure sphagnum.

You write "... Should I treat them with
Superthrive..?".

> Some growers use Superthrive, although my comparison
tests have shown me that plants I did not treat with
ST do as well as plants which I did treat.

Buy the book 'Savage Garden' by Peter D'Amato; it
will answer most of your questions about CPs. Barnes
and Noble carry it, or you can order it from
http://www.californiacarnivores.com/new_page_6.htm .

Take care,
Michael Pagoulatos

http://invites.yahoo.com/