barking up the wrong tree?

From: FOODBAG@aol.com
Date: Fri Aug 04 2000 - 02:57:03 PDT

Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 05:57:03 EDT
From: FOODBAG@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: barking up the wrong tree?

  I noticed this little piece while reading up on snakes. I think these have
all been used in Nepenthes mediums. Why are they toxic to snakes? I am not
trying to hint that they should be toxic to plants as well. I assume they
are more worried about accidental ingestion, rather then physical contact. I
was just curious if anyone knew. I think the commercial "Reptibark" used for
reptiles is fir bark(isn't most orchid bark also fir bark?)

Substrate

 The most commony used substrate for milksnakes is newspaper and aspen
shavings. Do not use cedar, redwood and possibly pine as they are toxic.

  BTW, I would like to put in a vote for D. prolifera as favorite Drosera.
Large impresive petioles, tentacles and good leaf mobility. Not to mention
how the flower stalks....well, proliferate.

  Regards,

  Joe Griffin
  Lincoln, Nebraska
  USA