Re: Moth in pitcher plant

From: John Green (john.green@ascensus.com)
Date: Mon Aug 07 2000 - 08:29:04 PDT

Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 09:29:04 -0600
From: John Green <john.green@ascensus.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Moth in pitcher plant

Aaron Carlson wrote:

>I recently removed a leucophylla pitcher that
>was damaged by a storm. Looking into the pitcher,
>I noticed what looked like a wad of lint stuffed
>down inside it. As I cut the pitcher open in the
>vicinity of the 'lint', a dark-colored moth escaped
>and flew away. Is this a normal thing to witness
>in Sarracenia? I know there's the moth in the SE
>U.S. that lives in pitchers, but I am in central
>Missouri. Has anyone else witnessed such an event?

I've read that various Sarrs seem to attract certain insects, and that S.
leucophylla commonly attracts moths. It's probably because the white tops
reflect light at night (from the moon or other sources) which attracts night
flying insects. Perhaps a moth might also think it's a good place to hide?

John Green
Salt Lake City, Utah