Re: Greenhouse watering

From: MCATALANI@aol.com
Date: Mon Aug 07 2000 - 08:37:07 PDT

Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 11:37:07 EDT
From: MCATALANI@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Greenhouse watering

<< The bigger issue, and certainly the most time consuming one, has been
keeping
 the plants watered sufficiently. Up through the end of June, I was able to
 collect enough rain water to keep everything going. However, rain is an
 almost unheard of occurrence during July and August in this part of Texas.
Craig McDonald >>

Trying to operate a greenhouse during the peaks of the summer heat is quite a
challenge. When the temps go up inside your greenhouse, the humidity goes way
down. This causes the moisture from the pots to evaporate at an alarming
rate. I have grown Sarracenia and flytraps in a 12x16 greenhouse and roof
vents (no other cooling system) with the temps regularly hitting 115 degrees
with no ill effects, other than myself losing about 10 pounds every time I
ventured in there. Since I can use tap water here, I connected an auto water
timer that would water and mist three times a day, which helped out a little.
If you want to greatly reduce the amount of waterings, your best option may
be to install an evaporative cooling system. This type of system utilizes a
pad which can be wetted over a vent in a back wall of the greenhouse. A fan
in the front of the greenhouse pulls air through. Air being pulled through
the wet pads not only cools the greenhouse, but increases the humidity as
well. This allows you to get away with less frequent waterings, and has cut
my waterings to 1/3 of what they were prior to using the system. The pad can
normally operate off of your standard tap water supply. Although it might
seem expensive, it may offset your costs in the long term by lowering your
water costs. By the way, my evaporative system in my 22x50 foot greenhouse is
2 feet high by 12 feet long. During the hottest parts of the day, the
greenhouse would reach 125 degrees farenheit without the evaporative cooler,
but with it turned on, can keep the temps at 85 degrees and 90 percent
humidity. Even with the water being recycled through the pads and back into a
holding tank, the system has consisted used over 100 gallons of water a day
to keep the greenhouse cool during July.
Michael Catalani
Currently residing in Hades, just east of Memphis, TN