Drosera intermedia flowers

From: Kit Halsted (kit@kithalsted.com)
Date: Mon Aug 07 2000 - 10:35:44 PDT

Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 13:35:44 -0400
From: Kit Halsted <kit@kithalsted.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Drosera intermedia flowers

Hi all:

I've got funny-looking stalks that don't look like regular leaves
coming up from several of my D. intermedia plants. I figure that this
means they're either A: about to flower or B: the combination of
Superthrive & the toxic NYC environment is mutating them into
super-plants that will help me take over the world. Assuming the
former, is there anything I need to do to pollinate them? I'm
guessing that in the yard, with at least 11 plants flowering,
pollination will happen naturally, but being a beginner at this I
thought I'd ask. Also, does anyone know how long it takes from flower
to seed for these plants? How do I go about collecting the seed?

An interesting note about how I'm growing these plants: I read that
they like to grow as semi-aquatics in pure peat, so I planted most of
them in pure peat in 6" tall pots with deep trays. That puts the
water level less than an inch below the soil surface. No surprise
that these plants are doing well, but the others do surprise me: I
took the leftover plants that didn't fit in these pots & stuck them
in 2" peat pots filled with pure peat. I then planted the peat pots
in my Sarracenia pots. The Sarracenia pots are 12" tall, & even with
the deepest trays I could find the water level is about 9" below the
soil surface. The D. intermedia planted this way are not only
thriving, but spreading. Plantlets are coming up outside the peat
pots & seem to be doing fine in the peat/sand mix. I plan to sow any
seeds I collect from these flowers directly into the Sarracenia pots.

Thanks,
-Kit