Re: More about Darlingtonia media/reply

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2000 - 01:57:11 PDT

Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 09:57:11 +0100
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: More about Darlingtonia media/reply

John & others,

>Here in New England, on the east coast of the US, we have very different
>growing conditions from where you live and Darlingtoinia grows
>naturally. Last night, the LOW temp made it down to 72 degF, the same as
>the dew point!. When we have summer foggy mornings here, the temps are
>often in the Mid 70's.!
>Under MY climatic and growing conditions.... I have found that a more
>open soil structure works better than one of the heavy peat/sand mixes.
>That is not to say that in other areas of the country/ world,
>Darlingtonia may thrive not in these heavier mixes. Personally, I think
>that the more open mix works better here because it allows more
>evaporation through the soil structure, thereby cooling the roots more
>than might otherwise happen. I do know that I have had more success with
>this open media than I have with others that I have tried.

We get similar conditions here in the UK and I too find that
Darlingtonia grows far better in a more open mix. I usually achieve this
by adding orchid bark to a mixture of peat and perlite, though I have
also had some very good results using pure live sphagnum.

Regards,
Phil Wilson
Email: cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk