Re: Transplanting utricularia seedlings?

From: Marco Craamer (m.craamer@multiweb.nl)
Date: Thu Aug 17 2000 - 12:56:58 PDT

Date:   Thu, 17 Aug 2000 21:56:58 +0200
From: "Marco Craamer" <m.craamer@multiweb.nl>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Transplanting utricularia seedlings?

Hi!

I am new to the list and new to CP's :-) my name is Marco and I live in
Holland I am 26 years old and am a senior programmer.

At the moment I don't have much CP's 1 Drosera, 2 VFT's (which are not doing
very well at the moment), 1 Saracennia Purpurea and a Utricularia. Today i
moved them in house in a sort of terrarium I hope this new surroundings are
better for the VFT's! The temperature in the terrarium is about 30 Degrees
Celsius and the humidity is high (don't know how high).

When I read things on the Internet I write them in a document, maybe this is
an answer on your question:

****
Utricularia

Soil: Aquatic varieties: One cup of peat well-mixed into each gallon of
water. Tropical: A good mix is one part fine orchid bark, one part long -
fibered sphagnum , one part peat and one part perllite. Terrestrial: Use a
mix of one part peat to one part sand.

Containers: Plastic containers with drainage holes work best for terrestrial
and epiphytic species. Most terrestrials also do well in un-drained
containers. If you wish to view the badders on terrestrials grow them in
glass containers with removable black plastic sheeting of construction paper
wrapped along the outside of the glass below the soil level.

Watering: Use the tray method for terrestrials and tropicals, keeping the
soil wet

Light: Full to part sun.

Climate: As Bladderworts grow worldwide, they come from varied climates:
cold-temperature, temperate, warm-temperate, sub-tropical, tropical and
Mediterranean.
Please consult (The Savage Garden by Peter D'Amato) for specific species
requirements.
****

Greets,

Marco