re: Drosera Hybrids--Tubers

From: Ivan Snyder (bioexp@juno.com)
Date: Sun Aug 20 2000 - 09:19:10 PDT

Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 09:19:10 -0700
From: Ivan Snyder <bioexp@juno.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: Drosera Hybrids--Tubers

>The only crossing that I have successfully made is D. whittakeri x D.
>stolonifera ssp rupicola. I have used two clones of D. stolonifera ssp
>rupicola. Each time apparently viable seed was produced, which
>subsequently germinated. The seedlings though were all extremely weak
>and none survived more than a few months. Just to make sure I made the
>crossing several times over a few years but the results were always the
>same.
>Regards,
>Phil Wilson

Thanks Phil, --good to know. Now I need not try this cross. We would
probably get the same results in other such crossings as I suggested in
D. peltata X rosetted tuber. Your findings are interesting too because
this shows that D. whittakeri and D. stolonifera are not as closely
related as one may have expected.

Ivan Snyder
Hermosa Beach
California