Re: Aldrovanda culture

From: Stephen Roger Horman (shorman@crosslink.net)
Date: Mon Aug 21 2000 - 16:26:03 PDT

Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 19:26:03 -0400
From: Stephen Roger Horman <shorman@crosslink.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Aldrovanda culture

Phil and Pierre:

There is already a photo of naturalized Aldrovanda on the site. Go
to the catalog and find Aldrovanda. On the right side is a
thumbnail titled something like " Naturalized A. vesiculosa:"
Click on it and you get a photo.

                                                                   Roger

Phil Sheridan wrote:

> Hi Folks: > > Thank you Pierre for your interest in our success
with Aldrovanda. To be > honest our success is due to location,
location, location. The research > station is located on a
blackwater pond with a pH of 4.5. Essentially > Aldrovanda is
growing here in a situation probably very similar to its > natural
environment (e.g. associate plants, water chemistry, etc.) and >
we are having phenomenal success with extremely robust plants
(hopefully > we can get some shots of our growing conditions on the
web soon). > Originally I managed to barely keep this plant alive
for a season in an > aquarium. I then experimented with growing it
in the pond and we have > been very successful ever since. Frankly
I think long term success with > this species in aquarium culture
may be somewhat difficult (although I > would like to hear from
people that have done this). The pond water > chemistry may be
extremely complex when one considers the cycling of > nutrients
between associate plant species and whatever beneficial >
interactions are provided by invertebrates, diatoms, and other flora
and > fauna. I had always wanted to find and grow Aldrovanda as a
kid and am > extremely satisfied to be growing such an amazing
plant. Last year we > recorded the 5 mm traps capturing and eating
small tadpoles!! > > I would encourage growers to try a number of
techniques to successfully > grow this plant in culture. Please
remember that we are offering our > summer sizzler sale on
Aldrovanda plants at only $1.00 each (if you get > a $25.00
sponsorship they are only .50!). Look forward to hearing from >
you. > > Sincerely, > > Phil Sheridan > Director > Meadowview
Biological > Research Station > > > Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 15:03:51
+0900 > > From: "Pierre Gelinaud" <piilou@multimania.com> > > To:
<cp@opus.labs.agilent.com> > > Subject: Re: Aldrovanda seeds > >
Congratulation! > > > > You have great success with this difficult
plant... I'm very interesting in > > information about your growing
condition (light, water, tank...) and I'm > > sure I'm not the only
one...?! (deg_deg) > > Thanks, > > > > Pierre Gelinaud > >
http://www.multimania.com/piilou/ > >
http://www.ii-okinawa.ne.jp/people/a-miya/ > > piilou@multimania.com
<meadowview@pitcherplant.org> > > To: "Multiple recipients of list"
<cp@opus.labs.agilent.com> > > Sent: lundi 21 ao\\373t 2000 09:05 >
> Subject: Re: Aldrovanda seeds > > > > > Hi Folks: > > > > > >
Carl Mazur, Jay Lechtman, and Eric Schlosser were here the other day
and > > > while we were showing them our Aldrovanda cultures we
examined the seed > > > capsules. So far we had not found seed but
this day was an exception. We > > > found one capsule that was
swollen and green and contained about a dozen > > > seeds. As far
as I know this is the first report of Aldrovanda seed > > > produced
in the US. Anyone out there with comments? > > > > > > Sincerely,
> > > Research Station

[HTML file part2 deleted by listprocessor]