Imidacloprid & Orthene & Gnats (oh my)

From: Dan Levin (levin@pixar.com)
Date: Tue Aug 22 2000 - 04:42:11 PDT

Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 04:42:11 -0700
From: Dan Levin <levin@pixar.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Imidacloprid & Orthene & Gnats (oh my)

In the case of Marc's experience with Imidacloprid "Confidor"; CP Digest
2283 No.1, I gratefully acknowledge the CP-specific phytotoxicity
reports (none noted!). However it should be understood that this
chemical's "effectiveness", requiring only biannual application, is due
to Imidacloprid's extended persistence in the environment. In the US,
Imidacloprid is sold under the brand names Merit and Premise, being used
primarily for turf applications & subterranean termites respectively.
It will continue killing for up to one year after application and though
reported to have limited soil mobility, it will in fact readily migrate
via ground and/or surface water.* This persistence may be stupendous for
the isolated collection, but please use common sense if spraying in-situ
wet areas! Orthene- while twice as toxic to mammals than Imidacloprid-
biodegrades in less than 9 days, by way of comparison. One site I've
found which offers various texts on this subject is
  http://www.agbook.com/

 -Dan

* references = Miles Inc. Technical Information/ Merit Insecticide;
    Merit 75 WSP Specimen Label dated 8/12/94