Re: dormancy

From: Hayes7@aol.com
Date: Fri Aug 25 2000 - 06:01:41 PDT

Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 09:01:41 EDT
From: Hayes7@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: dormancy

George,

All plants I get from the southern hemisphere are totally backward when they
get here and I have never seen this as a serious problem (tuberous drosera
are the exception to that rule...)

Two possible ways I deal with this:

1) If you are growing your plants outside, Mother Nature will put them
all asleep naturally for you. Just provide the usual protection for
your area (mulch or cold frame) and they will awaken in the spring on
the proper schedule.

2) Grow them longer now and shorten their dormancy period this winter.
Awaken them at the normal time in the spring.

3) Alternately, you can grow them completely through the winter inside under
lights. I have never seen a problem if a plant misses one dormancy period.
I do not suggest doing this for two cycles though, as they definitely do need
to "sleep".

Hope this helps,

Thomas Hayes

<A HREF="www.dangerousplants.com">www.dangerousplants.com</A>