Mosquito info

From: Kirk Martin (kirk_martin@harvard.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 25 2000 - 06:47:33 PDT

Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 09:47:33 -0400
From: Kirk Martin <kirk_martin@harvard.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Mosquito info

>----------------
>
>Topic No. 6
>
>Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 16:58:04 GMT
>From: "David Anders" <david_anders@hotmail.com>
>To: cp@opus.labs.agilent.com
>Subject: Mosquitos
>
>Because of the West Nile Virus (Im in New jersey) I'm concerned that the
>extra deep saucers my plants are sitting in outside may be a breeding pond
>for mosquitos.
>
>What I've been doing is about twice a week pouring the water in the saucers
>into the soil of my CP, in effect using 5 inches of sand and peat moss as a
>filter. I assume the mosquito larva will die in the wet soil or dead long
>fibered sphagnum moss becaue they need water to swim in. Is thsi effective?
> Or am I still going to get Mosquitos?
>
>I've read here about an insectidice called UT. Is it worth spraying that in
>the rain water I use for my plants? Will it harm them?
>Where does one get UT, or a good anti-mosquito larva agent?

Hi Dave,

We're dealing with the mosquito-borne disease West Nile Virus up in Boston
area too. The particular strain of mosquito that most commonly carries the
virus Culex pipiens lays it's eggs in stagnant highly organic shallow water
(we found larvae on wadded up plastic sheeting that was rained on and in
half-full garbage cans). The larvae need to live in water so by pouring
out the water periodically and replacing it would kill the larvae.
Life cycle is: floating eggs (rafts) approx. 3 days. Larvae about 2 weeks,
Pupae several days then adults several months.
The larvacide you are probably thinking about is Bt or Bacillus
thuriengensis. You should be able to buy that at most garden centers. It
won't harm plants and that is an alternative mosquito larvicide that most
states are using to control the critters.
FYI: The chemical most commonly being used for larvicide (not available to
public is altosid or methoprene. It prevents mosquitos from becoming
adults and is called an insect growth regulator.
The "spray" being used in most states is Resmethrin a synthetic pyretheroid
to kill adult mosquitos.
So, keep the water clean and if it occasionally dries out or you filter it
as you stated above, you should do fine.

Kirk W. Martin R.S.
Associate Biosafety/Sanitation Officer
Harvard University
Environmental Health and Safety