Re: Which are the hardiest nepenthes?

From: Francesc Maynou (maynouf@icm.csic.es)
Date: Fri Aug 25 2000 - 06:49:23 PDT

Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 15:49:23 +0200
From: Francesc Maynou <maynouf@icm.csic.es>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Which are the hardiest nepenthes?

Dear list members:
I grow CPs outdoors in a Mediterranean climate and have had problems
with highland nepenthes hardiness on the high-temperature side:
Ken Harper wrote:

> Almost all of the
> highlands Nepenthes don't have too much trouble with our winter temperatures
> (frequently down to near zero Celsius)

I have been growing N. alata and N. ventricosa in similar conditions
with no problems, but

> I lost a couple of N.villosa last
> February due to a really hot summer (over 40 degrees C)

we had an extremely hot summer this year (with night lows above 30C, day
highs 37-38C) and both N. alata and N. ventricosa withered. Could
someone with more experience than me tell me if there is any hope of
recovery? I moved the plants to a shadier place and mist often but I see
no change. Thank you

Francesc Maynou in Barcelona (NE Spain)