Re: Mosquitos

From: Philip Semanchuk (mrbones@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Aug 25 2000 - 17:19:26 PDT

Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 20:19:26 -0400
From: "Philip Semanchuk" <mrbones@mindspring.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Mosquitos

>Because of the West Nile Virus (Im in New jersey) I'm concerned that the
>extra deep saucers my plants are sitting in outside may be a breeding pond
>for mosquitos.
>
>What I've been doing is about twice a week pouring the water in the saucers
>into the soil of my CP, in effect using 5 inches of sand and peat moss as a
>filter. I assume the mosquito larva will die in the wet soil or dead long
>fibered sphagnum moss becaue they need water to swim in. Is thsi
effective?
> Or am I still going to get Mosquitos?
>
>I've read here about an insectidice called UT. Is it worth spraying that
in
>the rain water I use for my plants? Will it harm them?
>Where does one get UT, or a good anti-mosquito larva agent?

David,
You're a good citizen as well as a smart thinker. You are correct that
dumping your water into your CP pots will kill any mosquito larva living in
there. They die out of water.

I'm not sure what UT is, but there's a popular mosquito control called
"mosquito dunks" that you can probably buy at your local hardware store.
This is not a chemical, it is a bacteria called Bacillus Thuringiensis. From
what I've read, it sounds pretty benign unless you are a catepillar,
mosquito larva or grub. Disclaimer: I have not used this product, and I am
not a grub or larva.

Google has 298 pages about them which should be more than enough to satisfy
anyone:
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22mosquito+dunks%22&hl=en&safe=off

Good growing,
Philip