Mosquitos

From: David Anders (david_anders@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 24 2000 - 09:58:04 PDT

Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 16:58:04 GMT
From: "David Anders" <david_anders@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Mosquitos

Because of the West Nile Virus (Im in New jersey) I'm concerned that the
extra deep saucers my plants are sitting in outside may be a breeding pond
for mosquitos.

What I've been doing is about twice a week pouring the water in the saucers
into the soil of my CP, in effect using 5 inches of sand and peat moss as a
filter. I assume the mosquito larva will die in the wet soil or dead long
fibered sphagnum moss becaue they need water to swim in. Is thsi effective?
  Or am I still going to get Mosquitos?

I've read here about an insectidice called UT. Is it worth spraying that in
the rain water I use for my plants? Will it harm them?
Where does one get UT, or a good anti-mosquito larva agent?