Re: Mosquitos

From: Carl Strohmenger (HSC) (cstrohme@com1.med.usf.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 30 2000 - 16:12:24 PDT

Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 19:12:24 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Carl Strohmenger (HSC)" <cstrohme@com1.med.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Mosquitos

You can not do very effective mosquito control by using most CPs because
they attract prey that like a sweet bait, the nectar of sundews, pitcher
plants, and butterworts.

Some plants, like VFTs, have an attractive color (red) that attracts some
insects, but mosquitos are not among them.

Aldrovanda and aquatic bladderworts (Utricularia inflata, etc.) are very
effective at capturing waterborn larvae of mosquitos and other insects, but
only the larvae, not the adults.

Adult mosquitos are attracted to carbon dioxide concentrations, such as in
the exhaled breath of warm blooded animals (mammals). This is why they seem
to swarm around places where people and animals are located. Unfortunately,
I don't know of any CPs which produce a 'bait' of CO2. On the contrary,
since most CPs are green plants (containing chlorophyll) they take in any
CO2 in the air and use it to make carbohydrates for the plant, so CPs
tendto reduce the CO2 concentration in their vicinity.

Try a pyrethrin (sp?) spray.

- Carl