Re: CP photoperiods - South Africa, Australia, etc

From: Miguel de Salas (mm_de@postoffice.utas.edu.au)
Date: Sun Aug 27 2000 - 19:08:38 PDT

Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 12:08:38 +1000
From: Miguel de Salas <mm_de@postoffice.utas.edu.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: CP photoperiods - South Africa, Australia, etc

At 05:48 PM 27-08-2000 -0700, you wrote:
>Hey CPers,
>
>Many of you know I grow my plants under fluorescent lights. I just decided
>to take my CPs photoperiods a little more seriously. Since I'm growing a
>lot of S American Drosera, light cycle has been pretty constant but now I'd
>like to provide better conditions for South African and some Australian
>Drosera as well, under another set of lights acrss the room. Does anyone
>know the minimum and maximum # of hours of light they get per day in
>habitat? Also, how much of a difference is there between Northern Territory
>and Western Australian hours? My plan is to figure out a time ideal for
>everything a reasonable distance from the equator and adjust my timer a
>fixed interval once a week. :) The goal is to get plants to grow the way
>they do in nature. It would be nice to get them properly synchronized (to
>my clock, at least).

Matt,

The main difference is not between states east/west of each other (NT and
WA), but between north and south. The Northern Territory top end and
northern Western Australia (Kimberlies, Pilbara, etc...) have a much
smaller difference in daylight hours (being between paralels 10 and 20
south) than southern WA (~35 deg. S) or Tasmania (~40 deg. S)

Here at 42 deg S, we have 15 h long summer days and conversely 15 hour long
winter nights.

Miguel de Salas
mailto:mm_de@postoffice.utas.edu.au

 School of Plant Science,