TC - Disinfestation of seeds with NaClO

From: Miguel de Salas (mm_de@postoffice.utas.edu.au)
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 23:17:45 PDT

Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 16:17:45 +1000
From: Miguel de Salas <mm_de@postoffice.utas.edu.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: TC - Disinfestation of seeds with NaClO

What disinfestation protocols have people used successfully on CP seeds?

Is it better to leave them on more dilute solution longer or more
concentrated for a shorter time? I imagine concentrated solutions are more
likely to fry the seeds.

I have used 10% Sodium hypochlorite (NaClO?) for 8 minutes on Sarracenia
seed, but it did not germinate after 3 months. However, I got absolutely no
contamination in 20 tubes I inoculated, which leads me to believe two
things: my laminar flow cabinet works and I probably burned the seed. Seed
of the same batch stratified for 6 weeks and sown is providing good
germination.

When we come to Drosera seed, which is much finer, I would like to know
what people have found a good tradeoff between good germination and a
reasonable disinfestation success.

Cheers!

Miguel de Salas
mailto:mm_de@postoffice.utas.edu.au