Re: seed harvesting

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 04:27:36 PDT

Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 12:27:36 +0100
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: seed harvesting

Hans,
> Some areas of cultivation seem so obvious they're little-discussed.
>I'd like to hear some step-by-step descriptions on how to collect seed
>most efficiently. Especially the smaller genera such as drosera and (gulp)
>Utricularia.
> Are thumb-and-forefinger the best way to "separate the wheat from the
>chaff"?

The way I usually harvest Drosera seed is to wait until the entire
flower has died back, then remove any remains of the dead petals (this
makes it easier for the seeds to be released). Tip the flower head over
a piece of white paper and tap. The seeds will drop out when ripe. Often
the seed ripens over a few days. If you want to collect it all at once
you can removed the flower parts and allow them to dry in a small
envelope or similar. You will find after about a week that most of the
seeds will have dropped out of their own accord and any remaining will
fall after a few taps of the flower.

Utricularia seed is a little different. The ovary splits when the seed
is ripe (as opposed to Drosera where the seed is released from the top
of the ovary). You need to wait until the ovary is completely dry but
not split. Then remove it from the plant onto a piece of white paper
(white paper makes it easier to see dark seeds!). Fold the paper and
store the flower head for a few days to allow complete drying. If it
hasn't already split, carefully press the seed case to split it. The
seeds should be ripe and will be easily released. You should find it
fairly easy to separate most of the chaff from the seed.

If you want to further separate the seed from chaff you can use a fine
sieve. Here in England I use a tea strainer - I'm not sure if such
things exist in the States.

> And can two flowers from Byblis gigantea be rubbed together for pol-
>lination or is the tuning fork method the only way to go?

You will find that with care and a pair of tweezers you will be able to
split the anthers of Byblis to release the seed. You cannot pollinate
flowers of B. gigantea simply by rubbing them together. The anthers need
help to release their pollen. If you use the tuning fork method you will
find that pollen is deposited on the lower petals - well away from the
stigmata. This is presumably the means used by the plants to prevent
self pollination.

Regards,
Phil Wilson
Email: cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk