RE: Bog garden water tables

From: Miguel de Salas (mm_de@postoffice.utas.edu.au)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 17:55:45 PDT

Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 10:55:45 +1000
From: Miguel de Salas <mm_de@postoffice.utas.edu.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Bog garden water tables

With my limited experience having container bogs, I would recommend no
drainage or if you have holes, make them small and not more than 4 inches
from the top.

I've found that plants enjoy the container with no drainage, which
fluctuates from saturated/flooded to water 12 inches from the soil level (I
always water it when it gets to this stage, as by then it may take less
than 1 day for it to dry out completely...), better than a container with
two drainage holes 5 inches from the surface.

Some plants like Utrics, some Droseras (D. spatulata esp.) and Sarrs are
growing much better with a fluctuating water table and periods of flood,
than with a lower, more constant one.

You have to take into account, however, that fluctuations in bigger
containers will be far slower, as there is a much larger reservoir of water.

Cheers

Miguel de Salas
mailto:mm_de@postoffice.utas.edu.au

 School of Plant Science,