Re: Turkish CP Seed

From: Juerg Steiger (juerg.steiger@iae.unibe.ch)
Date: Sun Sep 10 2000 - 15:26:40 PDT

Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 22:26:40 +0000
From: Juerg Steiger <juerg.steiger@iae.unibe.ch>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Turkish CP Seed

Dear Robert

>and Pinguicula balcanica from
>Savvaltepe near Murgul (Artvin province). I won't be growing it myself
>and would be glad to make it available to folks on the list who want it -
>I'd prefer to send it to one person who can re-distribute it to anyone
>interested.

I would be very interested in Turkish P. balcanica specimens! Casper
described the taxon of the Pontic Alps around the Black Sea as P. balcanica
subsp. pontica (including those of the Ulu Dag near the city Bursa which
is already out of the Pontic Range). Years ago I visited the Ulu Dag but
what I found was P. vulgaris. You may know that Jost Casper (emeritus of
Jena University), Laurent Legendre (Reims University, now Sydney
University), Katsuhiko Kondo (Hiroshima University) and myself (Bern
University) are working on a new Pinguicula monograph (first volume on the
northern species). P. balcanica of the Ponticum and the Caucasian sites is
still one of the issues to be clarified. The Pontic material would
therefore be highly welcome for comparative chloroplastic DNA sequencing
(to be done by Laurent Legendre), especially as it is from the easternmost
part of the Ponticum. I guess your plants are already in the winter bud
stage which would make shipping easy. I have installed a professional
cooling system (combined with air humidifiers and UV lights) allowing to
cultivate also (sub)alpine and (sub)arctic species like P. leptoceras, P.
nevadensis, P. villosa and P. variegata for years. It seems that I am the
only one who grows almost all northern Pinguicula species including P.
balcanica (from different sites in Bulgaria and Greece) for years already.

Concerning custom declarations I always use the formula 'Scientific
material for research. No commercial value', avoiding the word 'plants'.
This declaration is true and worked since 30 years. AFAIK there is no
Pinguicula species in the annex of the CITES list up to now. P. balcanica
is anyway not endangered. I do not sell any plants but of course I would
reimburse all your costs for shipping etc.

Kind regards Juerg (=George)

Juerg F. Steiger MD
Director of the 'Master of Medical Education' Program (MME)
Faculty of Medicine, University of Bern
IAWF, Inselspital 37a
CH-3010 Bern, Switzerland
Phone office +41 (0)31 632 9887