Re: Drosera and Utricularia intermedia

From: Nigel Hurneyman (nigel.hurneyman@oracle.com)
Date: Wed Sep 20 2000 - 03:37:40 PDT

Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 11:37:40 +0100
From: Nigel Hurneyman <nigel.hurneyman@oracle.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Drosera and Utricularia intermedia

Hi Chris,

Does this observation cover U minor? My plants somehow manage to
attach themselves to the side of the aquarium so if the water level
drops appreciably they get stranded and die.

In the New Forest, this species does a pretty good job of anchoring
itself to the peat - in fact they're a bit like icebergs, with a
substantial portion of the plant below the surface of the peat.

NigelH

>Barry suggested growing these as affixed aquatics, but mine don't
>seem to be very motivated to affix themselves. The few stalks that
>did affix themselves didn't stay affixed through Friday's
>thunderstorm. Is it worthwhile to poke one end of each stalk down
>into the muck, or should I just leave them be?

   I'd just leave them. I've never found any aquatic utrics, in
the wild or in cultivation, that really like to be "stuck in the
mud" so to speak. Most of the time, Utrics are found along the
shorelines intertwined with cattails and Equisetum sp., as they're
blown into this area.