Re: Sarracenia tube decay & Burning

From: Philip Semanchuk (mrbones@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Sep 20 2000 - 06:37:18 PDT

Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 09:37:18 -0400
From: "Philip Semanchuk" <mrbones@mindspring.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sarracenia tube decay & Burning

>> My S. Leucophylla has developed some brown patches on the tube at about
the
>> same height as the insect level inside. I've read about people
discussing
>> burning, is this it? Do the enzymes damage the tube if the insect level
>> stays constant?
>My S.flava does the same thing but never my S. prup. Have often wondered
why.

Just from observation I guess that it is not the plant's own enzymes that
are causing the decay of the plant (which is what the brown patches are) but
bacteria attacking the insects rotting inside. I typically see this on my S.
flava when an insect gets trapped that is too large to fall all the way to
the "bottom" of the pitcher. I put "bottom" in quotes because the bottom is
just bug soup. I think if the insect decays while wedged somewhere above the
bug soup, it invites bacteria/fungus/whatever that can successfully attack
the plant's pitcher walls as well.

If I'm right, that would explain why this doesn't happen to S. purpurea. S.
purp is too wide to get an insect wedged in it, unless you have *very* large
insects in your area.

I don't think this does any significant damage to the plant and I have never
attempted to remedy it on any of my plants in cultivation.

Good growing,
Philip
URL du jour: http://www.votenader.com/