Re: Lighting

From: Malouf, Perry (Perry.Malouf@jhuapl.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 25 2000 - 08:18:04 PDT

Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 11:18:04 -0400
From: "Malouf, Perry" <Perry.Malouf@jhuapl.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Lighting

Kurt Polsler mentioned that he is building a container for growing
Nepenthes, measuring 8'x3'x2', and that he's considering buying
fluorescent lights for it.

Kirk Martin replied that halogen lights give off a lot of heat, that
metal halides with a remote ballast might be recommended but
that they still generate more heat than fluorescents. He also said
that fluorescents have a better spectrum.

I've successfully grown Nepenthes with fluorescents, sunlight,
metal halides, and combinations of the three. Which one you
use is influenced by several factors including convenience.

I've found that fluorescents can bring out wonderful coloration
in the pitchers and the plants can grow well, but the green growth
is somewhat soft. Also, for good results I had to put the fluorescents
very close to the plants--just inches away. This is a problem for
plants which begin to grow tall--the upper portion is near the light
and the lower portion is too far away.

Metal halide lamps are nice because they don't have to be so close
to the plants. The pitchers on my plants have achieved very nice
color under my metal halide lamp (1 KW).

For the container that Kurt described, I'd say that a lot of fluorescent
tubes would work very nicely, perhaps over the top and along the back
wall. A few metal halides (~500 W) over the top might work also--
many aquarium hobbyists have this sort of setup. A remote ballast would
be most convenient in this case.

Regards,

Perry Malouf