Lighting

From: Kirk Martin (kirk_martin@harvard.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 25 2000 - 07:48:10 PDT

Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 10:48:10 -0400
From: Kirk Martin <kirk_martin@harvard.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Lighting

>Hi everyone!
>
> I am putting together a large nepenthes tank (8'x3'x2'). I was
> thinking of
>buying several flouresent lights, but then I saw some halogen like grow
>lights. Does anyone have experience with these grow lights for terrariums.
>Do they over heat the terraium? How far from the plants should they be? and
>how many of these bulbs would be needed?
>
>Thanks,
>Kurt Polsler

Hi Kurt,

Halogen lights give off a tremendous amount of heat. In fact, a small
dormitory fire started where I work when a curtain came in contact with a
halogen (500 watt) torchiere lamp. I would not recommend them for that
reason alone but also since the lighting spectrum of fluorescent bulbs is
much more complete.
You might consider a metal halide with a remote ballast but that would
still generate more heat than fluorescents.

Kirk Martin
Lunenburg Massachusetts
USA