Re: Nepenthes Back Pitchering

From: MCATALANI@aol.com
Date: Tue Sep 26 2000 - 10:50:36 PDT

Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 13:50:36 EDT
From: MCATALANI@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes Back Pitchering

<< I am curious as to whether other members of this forum who cultivate mature
 Neps have noticed a certain "seasonality" in pitcher production. My
 conditions are highland tropical, and while my small TC plantlets in the
 conservatory do the young rosette plant "thing" (new leaf = new pitcher)
 many of my mature climbing plants growing outside appear to add several new
 leaves before, almost like it was an afterthought, consolidating growth by
 inflating pitchers on back buds. Thus far this appears to be most evident on
 the N. maxima group of species and N. sanguinea. What is curious is that the
 very conditions I would have expected to generate greatest pitcher
 production in "highland" Neps (i.e. prolonged periods of cool, misty,
 overcast conditions) seem to accentuate this growth pattern. Jay Vannini

I have seen nepenthes (especially tobiaca) put out as many as 8 leaves
without pitchers, then a leaf that pitchers, then the previous 8 leaves to
almost simultaneously pitcher. The reason seemed to be that the previous
leaves had not wrapped their tendrils around anything for support. When a
leaf further up the vine had found support and pitchered, it was like the
dormant tendrils below got the message and pitchered at the same time. (a
very neat effect, as you get many pitchers opened at the same time for a
beautiful display) I have seen many of the highlands do this (I dont think I
have noticed a lowland to do it, except for possibly gracilis) The highlands
that do this on a regular basis for me are tobiaca, eustachia, and sanguinea,
as they grow in a chamber with few support structures. The cool misty
conditons may be causing these plants to grow faster, which may be why they
stop pitchering. The vines may not want the weight of a pitcher on an
unsupported tendril. Without the weight of unsupported pitchers, the vine is
relatively lightweight and is capable of climbing straight up for a ways
until it found support. The only other condition that might cause this is the
overcast conditions you describe. Is it possible that they back pitcher after
a snap of higher light levels?
Michael Catalani