Re: NJ Bog Gardens

From: Dave Evans (dpevans@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 26 2000 - 19:37:38 PDT

Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 22:37:38 -0400
From: "Dave Evans" <dpevans@rci.rutgers.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: NJ Bog Gardens

Dear Cliff,

    You can plant all species, even those not reconized by everybody. You
may have trouble with S. rosea and S. psittacina. these plants don't seem
to handle our winters very well.

> Although I think
> that S. leucophyla and S. alata are out of the question, can I plant S.
> minor, Parrot Pitchers, S. flava, S. rubra and S. oreophila? I plan on
> covering the bog in winter by placing a sheet of burlap on top and
covering
> this with leaves.

    Nah, I have never used mulch (except for snow), but I don't clear the
fall leaves either. You can plant all of these species in Jersey, but if
you are planting them now, you could face a lot of deaths. Its probably to
late in the season for the plants to get over transplant shock and get ready
for winter....

>ill this extra protection let me plant pitcher plants
> that are native to Georgia?

    They will do fine w/o extra protection.

>hat types of Butterworts can I plant, (P.
> lutea?)

    Only those which form Winter buds. There aren't any of these from the
South East USA, P. lutea is not gonna make it.

>Can all types of Sarracenia be planted if I give the plants frost
> protection in winter? Thanks

    All Sarracenia except for S. rosea and S. psittacina can reliably handle
freezing winter conditions. These are hardy too, but they seem to have
trouble anyway, I'm not sure what it is that kills them... I think S.
psittacina is prone to freeze drying and I'm not sure why some of S. rosea
have died... Niether of these species flower well either....

Dave Evans,
North Jersey