Saturday's Davis Plant Sale: last notice

From: Barry Meyers-Rice (bamrice@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 05 2000 - 09:41:26 PDT

Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 09:41:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: Barry Meyers-Rice <bamrice@ucdavis.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Saturday's Davis Plant Sale: last notice

FIRST OFF: My apologies for repeated postings on this, but the other
message I sent to the listserve got trashed for most people in the faulty
digest mailing #2324.

-------------------------

We have finished pricing everything for the UC Davis plant sale, which
will be this Saturday, (8 a.m. to 2 p.m.). Prices are great (we have to
sell EVERYTHING in 6 hours!), and all proceeds go to the UCDavis Botanical
Conservatory and the Arboretum.

Instructions on how to get to the plant sale (Arboretum Headquarters):
http://arboretum.ucdavis.edu/get_there.html

For views of last year's sale, look at:
http://www-plb.ucdavis.edu/greenhouse/pf/faire-2.htm
(check out the lines to get in---this is a BIG event that people
practically camp out at to get in early!)

We will be selling the following:

Sarracenia flava
Sarracenia minor
Sarracenia psittacina
Sarracenia hybrids (purp x flava, purp x psitt, oreo x alata, rubra x
                    alata, minor x leuc)
Utricularia calycifida cultivars ('Cthulhu'; 'Yog Sothoth')
Aldrovanda vesiculosa---(Japan; South of Sydney; Northern Territories)

(All the Aldrovanda "kits" include starter-buds of U. inflata,
which I've found is a good companion plant. Free of charge!)

Of course, Nepenthes:
N. alata--red tube
N. eustachya--just one, from Sibolga, Sumatra
N. gracilis--petite darling pitchers, from Kota Kinabalu, site 21
N. maxima--lower pichers are darkly marked in red, upper pale green
N. reinwardtiana--all green form with eye spots!
N. thorelii--we are confident that this plant is correctly identified.
N. tobaica--adorable pitchers with red spotted tubes
N. ventricosa--big, cherry colored, speckled pitchers
N. x coccinea--fine Victorian cross
N. x dyeriana--just one, amazingly colored pitchers can reach 14"!
N. x mixta--spectacular, large pitchers
N. x superba--our most vigorous plant
and several of those "sp.?" plants.

Many types of sundews will be sold, including
D. adelae
D. binata multifida extrema
D. capensis (various forms)
D. capensis x aliciae
D. filiformis 'California Sunset'
D. nidiformis
D. prolifera
D. spatulata
etc. etc.

HINTS:

1)The really cool, grossly underpriced stuff is usually sold within the
first 30-60 minutes. Show up early so you don't have to pick through pots
of D. capensis. Some people scope out the plant sale with binoculars ahead
of time!

2)Beth Salvia, Matt Fujita, and I will be on hand with a final list of
what we have for sale. We can help those avaricious nuts who arrive early
and say "give me one of everything." We'll be easy to spot--look for CP
paraphernalia like goofy CP puppets (not for sale, alas).

3)Introduce yourself to us. We'll be happy to say hey!

4)Enjoy yourself. I'm told there are lots of other plants for sale, but
they're not carnivores and so who really cares! Orchids, shmorchids!
Ornamental grasses? Sheesh!

Cheers

Barry

Dr. Barry Meyers-Rice