re glasshouse trays

From: Ross Rowe (Ross.Rowe@ea.gov.au)
Date: Sun Oct 08 2000 - 21:00:24 PDT

Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 14:00:24 +1000
From: "Ross Rowe" <Ross.Rowe@ea.gov.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re glasshouse trays

Hi Craig
I use the polystyrene boxes used for transporting fruit & veg or fresh
fish that are ice packed and hence no holes. They come in a variety of
sizes and have fitted lids useful for packing several layers of the low
growing plants in the car. They are generally very strong and can be
supported by a rail under each end/side if you dont have full shelving.

I generally get them at the supermarket just by asking, some are
returned for repacking. Just cut the sides down to the required water
depth or punch a pencil hole in the side to prevent overfilling on auto
water systems. The overflow can be directed to pots/trays on the shelf
below via a piece of sprinkler tubing (Recommend a small piece of screen
mesh over the inlet to prevent stray debris blocking the overflow tube.

I also use them for mass display or cultivation for flytraps or other
CP plants (esp. Sarra). Each tray can be like a mini bog garden and can
save you having to repot Sarracenia that keep wanting to push the side
out of their pot. Only drawback is that boxes full of peat and water
are heavy and not as easy to move. I either cut them down or fill up
the base with offcuts from other boxes to reduce the amount of peat used
(c. 10 cm deep layer). The peat can be mounded above the top or insert
a narrow empty pot somewhere as a water well. They tend to colour with
age (1-2yrs depending on intensity of sunlight) and best to be replaced
if aesthetics are important.

Ross Rowe
Canberra, Australia