Seed storageDear All

From: Steve Alton (s.alton@rbgkew.org.uk)
Date: Mon Oct 09 2000 - 03:19:16 PDT

Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 11:19:16 +0100
From: "Steve Alton" <s.alton@rbgkew.org.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Seed storageDear All

Dear All

> Can Nepenthes seed survive, unharmed, at temperatures
down to
> -10 C.? I don't think there is enough moisture to cause
damage,
> but they are tropical...

If a species produces seeds which are 'orthodox', ie. storable under
standard seed bank conditions, they will store quite happily at this
temperature or lower, if sufficiently dry. All our material is stored at
-20C or -40C.

If, however, the seeds are 'recalcitrant' they are unlikely to survive
any kind of drying/freezing process. Unfortunately, nobody has ever
tested Nepenthes, as far as I know. If I ever get sufficient spare
seed (and I'm hoping for some N. bicalcarata, hint, hint!) I will try to
get them tested here. A definitive answer on this would be good.

Steve

MILLENNIUM SEED BANK Project

Steve Alton B.Sc.
Seed Donations Officer
Seed Conservation Department

Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew
Wakehurst Place, Ardingly, Haywards Heath
West Sussex RH17 6TN, UK

Tel direct + 44 - (0)1444 - 894119
Fax direct + 44 - (0)1444 - 894110
Email: s.alton@rbgkew.org.uk