_Drosera_ hybrids

From: jan.schlauer@uni-tuebingen.de
Date: Tue Oct 17 2000 - 02:42:13 PDT

Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 09:42:13 +0000
From: jan.schlauer@uni-tuebingen.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: _Drosera_ hybrids

Dear Wubs,

> I;m confused. I was told that Drosera hybrids are mules, that is,
> sterile and unable to reproduce. Was I misinformed?

Yes, quite thoroughly. It can obviously not be repeated frequently
enough (I have repeated it at least 20 times on this list
already) that the widespread legend of hybrid sterility in _Drosera_
is in many cases entirely wrong. *One* well documented case of a
sterile hybrid (the widesperad _D. rotundifolia * anglica_, the
parents of which have different ploidies resulting in aneuploid
offspring) is balanced by eqally well documented, far more numerous
but not as popular cases of perfectly fertile, diploid hybrids. There
seem to be no hybridization barriers whatsoever in S Africa
(accounting for endless intermediate combinations that are described
as "new species" from time to time). Many artificially produced
hybrids tested by Prof. Kondo are fertile (e.g. the hybrid between
_D. spatulata_ and _D. rotundifolia_ can be crossed successfully
with _D. anglica_).

> P.S. I'm still looking for a list of Dorsera hybrids, if anyone
> else can help.

Consult the cp database:
http://www.labs.agilent.com/bot/cp_home

and enter

drosera.*\*

as a search string. You will obtain a list of all documented or
hypothetical published _Drosera_ hybrids as output. Some more
combinations have been produced artificially (Hi, Ivan!) but these
were never described properly (soem were mentioned only as hybrid
formulas) in the literature.

Kind regards
Jan