Re: Nep pollinator

From: Dave Evans (dpevans@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2000 - 08:52:54 PDT

Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 11:52:54 -0400
From: "Dave Evans" <dpevans@rci.rutgers.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nep pollinator

Dear Hermann,

> if the wind would be the normal pollinator, there would
> be no necessity for the very strong smell that both- male
> and female- flowers only at night give off. There must be
> an animal pollinator that is active only at night( moth or bug ).

    I have had experience with flowers of two type of Nepenthes, N.
ventricosa and N. cv. 'Splendid Diana'. Both types seen to have a much
stronger odor during the day... Perhaps different species have pollinators
that are active at night while others have pollinators that are active
during the day?

Dave Evans