Re: Seramis and Lecaton...

From: jkimmick@SONNET.UCLA.EDU
Date: Thu Oct 19 2000 - 20:51:00 PDT

Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 20:51:00 -0700
From: jkimmick@SONNET.UCLA.EDU
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Seramis and Lecaton...

Hi,
        I did some searching, and could not find much in the way of US
suppliers -- but I did find that at least the Los Angeles area has a
thriving hydroponics industry. No Lecaton or Seramis, but quite a
bit of assorted inorganic potting material was available. One must
wonder what so many people are growing in their closets....... I
don't think it's CPs.
        Was able to buy a pre-made mix consisting of small (6-7mm)
puffed clay balls and shredded rockwool (see cautions in article). I
mixed this with lava gravel, a little charcoal, and some old (unused)
ceramic aquarium beads to come up with a suitable density, and
also followed the recommendation to add a small quantity of time-
release fertilizer.
        I've had a small "Home Depot" Nepenthes planted in this
medium as a test and it's been growing well. I'll wait a year or so
and see how it does long-term.
        I was interested in the article's commentary about non-
sustainable peat and sphagnum harvesting. Buying materials from
responsible companies is hard -- there's no info I've found published
to tell which they are. JIM